Thursday, March 26, 2009

Admission time

The time of admissions to my tuitions is not merely hectic and strenuous for our whole family but a time when we can collect hilarious howlers observing the silly things people do and say. Right now I am in the process and it will take some time to wrap up still, but let me mention one or two things that might raise a laugh among my readers …

One of my old boys, now in college, was helping us out, holding back the crowd (everybody being terribly busy and clamouring to be served first!). Somebody asked him who he was and what he was doing, and, on being told, asked ‘Is Sir teaching ex-students too these days?’

My daughter (tall and solemn and businesslike and busy as she was) has lost count of how many ‘tiny tots’ two years her senior addressed her as dada or didi while she was telling them the rules and helping them to fill out their forms.

And (though this is not really funny) one mother came to declare that she had enrolled her son last year, and she lives right next door to X (one of my ex-students, who, she has found out somehow, remains a favourite) – so will she get a concession on the fees?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sir,
It is really a common thing that you have noticed about the mother(poor soul).For this only she is not to be blamed....but a number of people try to pursue others for undue advantage.And when they fail to do so,they despise the person,spreading about nasty rumors about them(as I have seen many speaking around about you.)She deserves pity for this.

With regards
Soumallya Chattopadhyay

Sudipto Basu said...

Dear Sir,
The answer to the first question is, of course, yes. But I guess the parents won't figure that out!

But really, calling Pupu dada is a bit too much, isn't it? I can understand didi because she does deserve the odd bit of old-fashioned respect still associated with the word.

As for the third observation: it seems the recession is taking its toll on some people rather badly! An extension of the demand for 'free gifts' that us Indians are used to?

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Thanks for the kind compliment, Sudipto.

In jeans and T-shirt, Pupu does look rather boyish these days (being 5'9" helps, I suppose), at least at casual first glance.

And as for the woman in the story, no sympathies need be spared on her. That type splurges on shopping, and tries to wangle concessions only out of doctors and teachers!

Anonymous said...

Hello Sir,

I joined your classes really late so I guess I missed the opportunity of experiencing a scene as the one you described, though I really would have liked to witness one.

1.As for your ex-student being asked if sir taught ex-students too these days, I think he should have answered in affirmative, making it clear to the gentleman what the difference was in teaching present and ex-students. Though it would have sounded a bit rude, still, it would have made the answer clear to the interrogator.

2. Last time when I visited you, I saw Pupu after a long time and yes she looked pretty grown up compared to what we had seen her like when we had classes with you, so someone addressing her as didi could be fine, but "dada" is simply ridiculous.

3. And for the last one, I guess I don't really have anything to say.

Nishant Choudhary