Monday, March 1, 2010

A new language in the making

I saw yet another johnny-come-lately private college (where they charge you several lakhs and take four years to 'teach' you how to be a waiter in a restaurant) advertise itself as an 'educational resort' in the paper the other day (by the way, those who 'teach' there are never called teachers or lecturers or professors, they are invariably called faculty - even in the singular. And they give 'bachelor' degrees...)

I have noticed in my own neighbourhood something called a 'Dental Inn'. Soon, I'm sure, they will call ICCU-s cardiac resorts, too.

Once you start corrupting language, you have opened the door to all the forces of chaos, dissolution and decay. Anyways... chillax.

6 comments:

Shilpi said...

An educational resort? And what in heaven's name does 'Dental Inn' mean? 'bachelor degree'?! God help us. But you know what? I'm thinking about that other post of yours and I'm wondering whether the feminists might as well start clamouring for a 'Mistress' Degree', 'Madame's Degree', and so on...the time seems just about right.
But Suvro da - 'Anyways....chillax' ?!!! Ack.
Hahahah...glad I read this one now.
Take care.
Shilpi

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Doesn't 'anyways... chillax' fit the context just right?

Shilpi said...

Not you, though. Not you. It fits the context just perfectly but I can't quite imagine(don't want to imagine?) you saying that even as a joke. I'd have to push you into a pool....
Love,
Shilpi
P.S: I'm still seeing images of this 'Dental Inn' - especially while brushing my teeth...

Mayuri said...

"Anyways" -- That always cracks me up! haha. Maybe I should just go chillax at an educational resort, perhaps?

A few weeks after I had just arrived in the States, an accquaintance from Austin, TX told me, "Austin's the shit, man, " and for the longest time I didnt know if that meant that Austin was a good place or a bad place!

Unknown said...

A few years back I got an urgent message from the ward sister in the Dept of Urology:
Sir,
Patient cant micturate............but I tried to micturate...........but I cannot micturate..........So you please come soon and micturate.
Staff Nurse.

Suvro Chatterjee said...

I am glad that some people do notice such things still. It warmed my heart to read in Dan Brown's latest book, The Lost Symbol, that when some student says 'Awesome!' in response to something that Robert Langdon had said in the course of his lecture, Langdon rolls up his eyes and hopes someone would ban that word soon!