Saturday, January 1, 2011

A better way to travel

Travelling around swathes of West Bengal and the metropolis of Kolkata this time round (it was full holiday season too), it struck me with renewed force how utterly alike people are becoming everywhere – in this country at least. And it wouldn’t have bothered me so much if they had become alike in good manners and civic sense. But it is most evident to anyone who cares to notice that all the resemblance applies to undesirable traits: the same spitting and littering right and left, the same unconcern for traffic and parking rules (and eagerness to quarrel if anyone points out they are breaking rules), the same loud and coarse jokes, the same hogging (and it is hogging I mean – I have nothing against decent eating!), the same jostling and queue-jumping, the same disdain for other people’s convenience, the same vulgar display of new-gotten wealth, the same obsession with shopping malls everywhere (why go to places which are of historical/cultural significance, then, if all you want to do is shop and eat?). I don’t go abroad, but I am alarmed to hear that the streets of Singapore and Dubai are crowded with Indians exactly of the sort I have described, and road signs in Switzerland are being written in Hindi, and there are streets in London and New York which sound and smell like any town in India, and imagining what kind of crowds I might have to rub shoulders with in such places, I say a quiet ‘God forbid’ inside my mind.

I used to love travelling, and have travelled far and wide for a long time. Of late, however, I notice I am becoming less inclined to travel for pleasure. Travel-related books and video CDs, meanwhile, have become widely and cheaply available – you can visit any place from Antarctica to Greece to the Ajanta caves to Shantiniketan from the comfort and safety of home, avoiding all the expense, worry, risk and annoyance of having to rub shoulders with vast hordes of unpleasant people. Even watching Durga puja or Christmas celebrations around the town is done best on TV. Maybe, in the years to come, that is the way I will travel for choice!

P.S., Jan. 10: I found this absolutely hilarious little essay on the net, and though the author is a foreigner, my sympathies lie entirely with him.

4 comments:

Arijit said...

Seeing on TV or cd and experiencing are two different aspects of life.
I celebrated this new year at KEMPTY FALLS.Well the joy I got experiencing it cant be described in photos or videos.
As part the civic sense is concerned you are right,I have seen some people instead of using the bathroom doing toilet at the falls and splitting here and there and also seen some young boys dancing right in front of the road after taking alcohol. So nasty habit.These things should be indeed changed.

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Kindly don't lecture me, Arijit. You might feel very differently twenty years from now; give yourself that time. I don't think you noticed, in your hurry to write a comment, the first sentence of the second paragraph, 'I used to love travelling, and have travelled far and wide for a long time', so if I have changed my mind somewhat, it is only due to experience much longer than you have yet lived.

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Well, then, didn't anybody read the article to which I had provided the link?

Shilpi said...

I did, Suvro da, and I had to chuckle with 'even the cows' and 'walking with Moses' - and it got me to read a couple of other ones on the blog: one on train loos and one on his experiences after consuming some murky looking (and tasting...) liquid of beer and bhang....about your original post I'll write another day.

Take care.
Shilpi