Friday, March 11, 2011

Only a game


My daughter found this game by chance on the net. I was aghast. Do take a tour. It is actually teaching children (most players, I guess, would be children and teenagers) that to run a big business organization profitably, just about everything goes. Politicians, workers, environmentalists, scientists, health regulators, consumers – they are all either interfering busybodies meant to be bought off with bribes, or slaves to be worked to the bone for as little as possible, or suckers to be parted from their money in the most ‘efficient’ (read profitable-) way possible: all other considerations, especially ethical ones, be damned.

I used to think that you had to get into business school, at least, to be drilled in this most pernicious doctrine, but now it seems that you cannot be too young!

4 comments:

Anand Tiwari said...

Nothing surprising. This is exacty what is taught in US B-Schools under the garb of generating efficiency or discovering synergies. What good is a business if it cannot layoff workers at will, bend the rules to destroy the environment or sell unhealthy products. Indians are flocking in droves to learn the art of capitalism from US business schools even as local enrollment is down. This is a clear indicator of the progress India is making.

Shilpi said...

Suvro da,

Are you really aghast or is this your way of nudging people to think?...I'm rather glad that Pupu found the game on the net (shows that all net-games don't have to be a waste of time). I was wondering whether and when MacDonalds was going to try and shut down the game (no matter the little note saying the usual before the onset of the game) and so I said 'hahaha' because the game is a good way to teach young uns and even older morons how the world of big business works...

I lost about 42,000 dollars within the first some seconds with my pastures and some 'happy' cows (until they started taking them away!) and I went to the fast-food place and sadly enough although all my employees got badges - there wasn't enough meat - so once again I received the "Shame on you" sign.

Sorry about this inordinately long comment.

sayantika said...

Even I tried the game and lost more than $36000, and the company went bankrupt!
It's perhaps a lesson for those youngsters aspiring to get to B-schools: this is what you will do when you get your dream job: corrupt the authority and destroy tribal villages!

Arijit said...

Oops I also lost the game.
Business only knows 'profit'.It doesn't matter how you earn the profit.