Wednesday, July 27, 2011

In the dark


The mid-eighties – precisely the time when I was going to college and university – were the worst time to live in Calcutta, for eight-to ten hour power cuts daily were considered normal. It is a miracle I didn’t go blind, doing so much reading by candle light. They have left some permanent nightmares: one thing I most definitely would never consider romantic is a candle-light dinner…

Of late the monopolistic state-run power utility from which we are compelled to buy electricity here in Durgapur is apparently going through one of the worst phases in its chequered history: I hear it is on the brink of collapse. As a result, frequent power cuts, from minutes to hours long, have become a part of the daily routine, and no respite is likely very soon. My generator has become a heavy duty necessity, not only because my classes depend on the lights and fans going, but also because I cannot bear to have those nightmares come back.

Almost every evening my house is the only one which is a blaze of lights when the rest of the street is plunged in darkness. Most of my neighbours, well-off as they are, prefer to mope for hours together in the sweltering, stifling darkness. You can at most see a single oil lamp or ‘emergency’ lamp gleaming fitfully here and there.  Strange are the ways of men.

7 comments:

Shilpi said...

Those two sentences one after the other are quite a shock to the system! I did chortle. I hope there aren't power cuts in the middle of the night....

Debotosh said...

Sir,
The situation is worse in DVC , even though the undertaking is still touted by some as one of the main power generators of the country . Tired with frequent power cuts throughout the day , the people of DTPS complained to the authorities concerned and in return we were gifted with a fantastic solution- we were notified that from November,2010 to March ,2011 there would be 'scheduled' power cuts in our locality . For 4 days in a week , the power supply was stopped during the evening from 6.45 pm to 9 pm ! Even after March , the situation has not improved a bit and the word 'scheduled' was just turned into 'unpredicted'.

Suvro Chatterjee said...

No, Shilpi, that's a small mercy: no power cuts in the night - yet. But running up and down three storeys in the midst of classes to yank the generator on and turning it off again is wearing me out.

DVC is one of our 'navaratna' industries, isn't it Debotosh? So much for the advertisement-wallahs, who will claim anything in fancy rhetoric if they are paid. British Petroleum still takes out full-page ads in the papers telling the world how much they care for the environment... Someday we'll be living in desert caves, and when we go scrounging for water, lovely billboard pictures will tell us we've never had it so good!

Rajdeep said...

Yes I understand. Had a horrid summer in Durgapur a couple of years back...

Suvro Chatterjee said...

I should have bitten my tongue. Last night, we had a long power cut...

Shilpi said...

Ack. And I was grouching while whewing, 'thank God for small mercies'. I shouldn't have even asked the question. It's like tempting fate or something.

Anand Tiwari said...

Dear Suvro da,

I had a generator backup system installed at my house this weekend. I had to endure a 36 hour power failure recently due to a rainstorm. This year alone I have lost power 4 times. Till 2001, I had never experienced a power failure here. Of late, it has become a ritual every summer. Crumbling infrastructure inspite of sky high electricity prices is the culprit. Of course, the electric utility company is making record profits. It was a huge relief when the installation completed this weekend. At least, I will not feel 'powerless ever again. Of course, I am the only one on the block who has woken up to the new reality. Everbody else seems to be perfectly fine.
Anand