Friday, December 16, 2011

It's December again

Winter began last evening, with a sudden chill in the air. As usual, the weather had become comfortable since the start of November, but the sun was still unpleasantly warm in the afternoons, and I had been going around in shirtsleeves all through the month. Last night the kids began to shiver even in a classroom with all the doors and windows shut, and  the woolens had to come out pretty abruptly. I hope, since the season has begun late, it will last at least until mid-February. It is for this very brief spell that I live every year. It coincides with the lightest workload for me, so I have a lot of time to soak in the delicious charm, God be thanked. Despite the cold water and the shivers if you go riding a two-wheeler at dawn or late in the evening, I will never see eye to eye with those who dislike winter in a country like ours. I only wish there was some rain to wash away all the dust in the air and on the leaves, and I am waiting for the sky to turn azure. I can never have enough of azure skies. And the mountains are calling me again...

3 comments:

Subhadip Dutta said...

Sir, here in Delhi also, unlike last year, the winter began very late this year. It has become cold only this week. Even yesterday it was a bit warm here.

A bath in cold water, that too in the morning at 7 o'clock, is what I find the most refreshing during the winter. Even in the winter in Delhi I have adhered to this habit. I feel so comfortable after that bath everyday. This is a practice that I have inculcated since my school days, and it has proved really helpful. I do not feel sleepy the whole day after that bath, and magically, I start feeling sleepy at 11 o'clock in the night.

I am enjoying the winter here. You should go to some hill station now and enjoy the snowfall...

Suvro Chatterjee said...

The newspapers reported yesterday that Panagarh, right next door to my Durgapur, had become as cold as Kalimpong in the hills, 5.9 degrees celsius. Wow!

Shilpi said...

That is wonderfully strange. Here, it's hovering around 5-11 degrees celsius through the day these last couple of weeks at least (most unusual, I think, for mid December!). Sometime in November or maybe very early December it went below 0 degrees in the middle of the night, and in the middle of the day it would shoot into the mid-twenties even, and there were lots of showerstorms. I got caught without protest in the middle of a couple.

The main post made me feel rather quiet and content. Images of a warm crackling fireplace and cold white mists and mountains, kids shivering in their class space, flickered sharply among others.

I hope the rains come soon and turn the leaves emerald and make the air sparkle bright.

I think the sky is azure in and through August here. It's very nice to know that you're answering the call of the mountains. Travel well all of you, and take lots of pictures, please.