Wednesday, March 14, 2012

beware the praise of the multitude

I remember an incident from the life of Sir Winston Churchill. He was leaving a packed hall after receiving thunderous applause for a rousing speech, and a hurrying reporter asked 'Sir, doesn't it make you feel good to see that so many people come to hear you and clap for you?' 'Of course it does', shot back the great man, 'but then I remind myself that the crowd would have been three times as large if I were going to be hanged'. That's mankind for you.

Whenever I sense the danger of becoming swollen-headed to see how many people are crowding into my house and how frantic they are to get their children admitted to my tuition and how lavish they are with their praise and their purses, I remember those immortal words from a master spirit, and I am sober again... I recommend Browning's poem The Patriot  very strongly to my readers. I can't do better myself than repose all my faith in the stirring last lines: 'tis God shall repay/ I'm safer so.

2 comments:

Shilpi said...

This post of yours set up 'great argument' within myself while some part of me has been the 'patient looker-on' amidst the raised eyebrows, the grumblings, and even some quiet smiles too (I'm not so sure as yet what the smiles mean). As for your liners with which you end off: a bit of silence and a raised hat is what fits the case although a face-to-face conversation would merit maybe many noisy questions and comments.

Thank you for making me revisit the poem. It made me revisit '...after such knowledge what forgiveness'?, and the part in the middle of that poem sort of fits with your post. Your post reminded me of the song Ripple too for some reason, '...let it be known/ there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men./ There is a road/ no simple highway/between the dawn and the dark of night,/and if you go/no one may follow/That path is for your steps alone...You, who choose to lead must follow;/but if you fall, you fall alone./ If you should stand then who is to guide you?/ If I knew the way, I would take you home...'

Thank you for this somewhat strange post.

Nishant Kamath said...

Dear Sir,

You are probably one of the few people who try and succeed in looking at their own thoughts and actions so objectively. I had felt the same about the post you had about yourself on the other blog. This post also reminds me of what you had once mentioned in class: about trying not to be swayed by emotions, but being as calm as possible like an unwavering flame in perfectly still air.

Every time I try to be objective about my motives, thoughts and actions, I get trapped in this vicious circle where I am not even able to determine the cause and the effect. I end up like a dog chasing its own tail.

I liked the poem you mentioned in the post. I think I got the message of the poem, though I could not completely understand what exactly was being said in the last three lines. I might have missed the point of the whole poem because of that (hopefully not).

Sincerely
Nishant.