Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Only for cows

My hundreds of boys and girls never cease to amaze me. I was threatening them with dire consequences if they didn't study hard enough, saying I'd seek their parents' permission to keep them in my house and entirely under my supervision for a month or two, and send them back vastly improved. And I said I'd look after everything, from diet to potty habits to exercise to following strict work routines. When they expressed curiosity about the diet, I mentioned that among other things, they would have to eat a lot of fresh green vegetables. To which someone muttered 'amra goru naa ki' (are we cows or what)?

What does that say about their parents' ideas regarding matters of nutrition? Remember, too, that all these parents are highly educated...

1 comment:

Shilpi said...

The first part has been making me chuckle - I'm sure more than few of them would like to stay too...the second one on your list of 'looking after everything', would make some sink through the ground - so I'd have thought.

I can only hang my head with shame about vegetables. I didn't think they were just meant for cows but I disliked green vegetables and almost any healthy food item apart from lentils and so I would eat any kind of bread and make eggs and have the lentils, and for years.

That bit of yours about vegetables and the second one on your list reminds me of a nice and amusing book called 'Milroy the Magician' - although that magician was an extremist....