Friday, February 20, 2009

Witty about dying...

There was this king who, when his death was mentioned, exclaimed, 'Die? Why, Sir, that's the last thing I should do!' (I do, do hope people get the pun!)
Then there was the funny man who said 'I'm not afraid to die: I just don't want to be there when it happens.' And Sir Thomas More, who supposedly raised a finger, removed his flowing beard from the chopping block, put his head down, and told the executioner 'You can go ahead now; I didn't want my beard to be harmed; it has not offended the king.'
I wonder, too, if you have read about the monk who was always making his devotees laugh. When he was on his deathbed, he made his last request: that he should be cremated with his clothes on. When the pyre was lit, there was a great burst of firecrackers - he had apparently hidden a lot of them in his robes. Even at his funeral, he was making people laugh...

1 comment:

Shilpi said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely Suvro da! I know that's not saying much - but I'm grinning from ear to ear. "Last thing I should do"...bursting firecrackers...but the bearded one, I like the best. I can almost see him, carefully removing the beard out of the way. What a way to say "cheerio". I'll comment on the previous post of yours after my classes where I hope I don't break out into loud laughs - although maybe that may not be a bad thing. You take care. Love,
Shilpi