Sunday, December 13, 2009

Happy families

The young husband says over the phone he can't come home in time for tea; the workload is too heavy. The pretty wife says 'No problem, I'll have another companion today, fitter than you, more attractive...' The jealous husband, all work forgotten, comes rushing home, only to find that the wife is having tea with a particular brand of biscuits.

A gist of an advertisement feature I just saw on TV. I wonder about the tastes and I.Q.-levels of the target audience for which this sort of thing is designed. I'm sure they comprise 90 percent of our young educated population in their 20s and early 30s. Isn't India shining?

4 comments:

Amit Parag said...

This is one of the many cheap humor advertisements ubiquitous everywhere, similar to this:
Avoid girls, save petrol.

Shilpi said...

I have three responses towards ads of this sort:
1. Hide my face in shame....I didn't make the advertisement I know and have nothing to do with it.

2. Be disgusted and show the disgust. (Time for hiring the horse and the sword...)

3. Laugh hysterically and violently if not maniacally.

I don't see the connection between the biscuit ad and Amit's joke though. It does save petrol if boys avoid girls, who expect dinners, dates, drives, and dear gifts. And more than most girls do, and even the ones who yowl about gender equality and gender rights. The things I've heard while sitting in the corner of a computer lab filled with female sociology graduate students right before and after Valentine's Day have made me want to pull out my hair or bellow. I don't of course otherwise I'd be going around with a bald and red head or be politely asked to leave the department for displaying violent behaviour.

Suvro Chatterjee said...

... just imagine, then, how these folks will bring up their children!

Amit Parag said...

Sometimes I feel that many students should be demoted to nursery and made to start all over again.
A friend here in Kota, who is in the ninth standard in DAV school [incidentally he was puzzled for a long time when I confused him by saying that sin(theta) does not equal to one by cosec(theta) but instead cosec(theta) equals to one by sin(theta)] read the above comments , understood something else and told me that Shilpi di had declared war on me by making fun of my comment.It was 11pm in the night and I was having my dinner.So I left my dinner half finished, ran to a cafe which was half closed switched on the server and a computer and breathlessly read Shilpi di's post.
You can very well imagine what I did to the boy on returning home.