Friday, January 1, 2010

Ring in the new...

A wise guy told me recently that New Year's Eve was the night when millions of people got miserably drunk, frozen and broke in the quest for happiness, and a few thousand businessmen encouraged them lustily while counting their profits in warm offices before laughing all the way to the bank the next morning.

It should be clear from the above that I do not believe in special days. I had a very quiet and restful night myself, after watching crowd antics on TV for a while - exactly as I have been doing every time for almost two decades, to my entire satisfaction. My best wishes, for whatever they are worth, to all my readers nevertheless.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sir,
If you take Anandabazar Patrika then please read the column-"Happy New Habhate" in the "Robibashorio" (published on Sunday-3rd January,2010)........The article is written by Parimal Sengupta.
The author has publicly expressed his views on the so called "celebrations" of Christmas and New Year.
With Regards,
Soumallya Chattopadhyay

Amit Parag said...

Neither do I believe in special days.From Charles Dickens to Steve Jobs, many great men have asked to make each day special. So why do we need a few calendar made-marked days to get mad on the streets. To quote Sherlock Holmes in New Year's context," It doesn't make a penny worth of difference to me or to my work".

Suvro Chatterjee said...

A most apt quote, Amit, thanks.