Friday, June 11, 2010

Breathtaking put-downs

I just read Shilpi's blogpost, and the last put-down was superb: the man says to the woman 'I didn't give up my seat for you because you are a lady, ma'am, I did it because I am a gentleman'!

Such magnificent put-downs are necessary to put the rude and the uncouth back in their proper place, and even to make nice people think and re-examine their attitudes towards a lot of things. It reminds me of the prince accosting one John Tower, and quite gratuitously insulting him in public with the remark: 'Hello, Tower. I hear you are the worst blackguard in Liverpool?'. Tower bows to the ground and says, 'I hope your Highness has not come to take my reputation away!' 

And then there was M.K. Gandhi after he had become famous as the Mahatma, who was always good for innocent-sounding but wicked ripostes. When asked what he thought about western civilization, he simply said 'It would be a good idea'. It takes my breath away...

3 comments:

Shilpi said...

Haha. I hadn't heard of the Tower reply (and I don't know who this John Tower is either) but Gandhi's response - every time I come across it or someone reminds me of it (I wonder whether it was you who told me the tale the first time) - always stops me short. I wonder whether The Mahatma had glinted when he said that. I also love his other one that you put up, which I had never come across, in your post titled 'The Laughter of the Wise'- "He was wearing enough for the both of us!" That too was wicked and terribly appropriate too.

As for the gentleman in the tube - aah. I was mesmerised. And I admit that I envy and admire people who have the lightning fast wit to come up with the perfect riposte, especially when people are rude but otherwise too.
I can't help but be reminded of that one you put in by Thomas More, who was under unusual circumstances. It makes me glint and smile that one does....

There are a couple of lovely ones in the Asimov book. But some other time.
Take care.

Sayak Shome said...

Sir,
I remember something you'd once
said in our class - You might send a note addressed to K.K.Devasy
which would read "Thanks for being my greatest benefactor."
Wonderful words can be wicked weapons. :)

Sayak.

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Yes, sometimes nothing makes a person more angry than a 'thank you'!