Monday, April 18, 2011

This blog and Anna Hazare

It took fifteen months for the visit counter to reach the 10,000 mark, and less than a year for it to jump to 20,000. A heartening thing to see, because it means I have not been labouring entirely in vain (as I have said before, it's hard work to keep two blogs running simultaneously, especially if one of them is dedicated to whimsy and plain fun. Somebody warned that I may not be able to keep at it for long, but lo! it's been more than two years without a break already. But it helps to see an ever-increasing visit count). I shall look forward to seeing how quickly the follower count goes up to 100 and the 30,000-visits milestone is passed.

I shall reiterate that it would be nice to have more participation from my readers - by way of comments and contributions, besides visiting regularly and enlisting as followers.

One more thing I must note in passing is that maintaining this blog has brought home to me a) how many people are utterly humourless, and b) how widely tastes in humour differ.

And one last thing before I go: I shall insist till my dying day that not only is a sense of humour an essential requisite for civilization, but especially an ability to laugh at oneself - one's own sense of self-importance as balanced against the reality that one doesn't really matter in the vast cosmic scheme of things, even if one is a President or a tycoon or a pop icon. I wish more and more Indians, the man on the street as much as the movers and shakers, would learn to cultivate that virtue, which is the essence of true humility (as opposed to the ingrained habit of cringing before powerful people in the hope of currying favour and avoiding trouble). So here's my parting shot for now: I know, unlike Anna Hazare, that I am too ignorant and too insignificant a man to believe that I am always so right and good that I can and should impose my inflexible will upon this vast country without a qualm. I would run if anyone invited me to become the First Jan Lok Pal. Let me try to become a better man first. There's no shortage of people who are quite sure about their perfect moral virtue and absolute wisdom...

6 comments:

Debarshi Saha said...

I will ask you just one thing,Sir...


Is pride in one's own self guilt?
Is it wrong to set one's own moral standards,as the highest standard of achievement to one's own self?
And lastly,when confronted with a significant risk,and a conflicting ideal..what is more important?..To uphold one's morals,or strike a balance?...Read,give in to the risk..

You,Sir..are whatever you teach.I have learned this fact...

Congratulations for this blog!..Its a fantastic one..an oasis for the weary soul really!!

With Regards,
Debarshi.

Suvro Chatterjee said...

I am not too sure if I have understood your question very well, Debarshi. However, here's my response to what I have understood. In our language, they distinguish between ahamkar (vanity, conceit) and gaurav (pride). Pride is good, conceit is bad; pride is hard to come by, conceit is only too common. To set high moral (or aesthetic) standards for oneself and to take pride in having stuck to them at great cost is justified and admirable, but that kind of pride should not give us overweening ambition, it should not lead to megalomania, and it should not make us blind or uncaring about all the goodness and talent that may lie latent in many apparently humble human beings. That is what I meant by what I wrote in the last paragraph. Does this answer your question?

Debarshi Saha said...

Respected Sir,

Warm Regards.Yes,you have indeed comprehended my question...I will,however re-phrase my last question more clearly,by simulating a hypothetical situation...

Suppose,someday,one had to perform a job,some work..that,in its very essence,required one to submit to authority..to let go of one's deepest ideals...if that job,being lawful,felt morally conflicting and wrong,difficult to perform...because of one's strong sense of values...then what should the same person do?..If the risk seemed big,should one set his ideals aside;and play the game,like a rat?..Its a situation we face everyday..you,Sir..have very strong ideals..and an even greater adherence to them...so I asked you this question..in this hell of a world,what is absolute and permanent?...karma or dharma?...What if I become obstinate,and stick to my conscience,no matter what the consequences?...

I ask this question with definite purpose..I will write in someday,to tell you more...

Yours affectionately,
Debarshi.

Arijit said...

Sorry for interruption.
In this regard I would like to say something to Mr.Debarshi.
See, Right or wrong depend much upon the way we perceive things.I think the best way is to avoid if it hurts your conscience.Again,if you do commit a mistake unknowingly and later realize about it and learn a lesson,then it can be forgiven.So its your choice.

sayantika said...

Dear Sir,
Congratulations for keeping both the blogs so interesting for so many days. Writing blogs is indeed a difficult task, I have realised it while I try to think what to write next in my blog. Many a times I have felt disheartened and though of giving up, but whenever I read your blogs, they inspire me to continue writing.
And to maintain a blog regularly on humour is remarkable. Kudos to your efforts sir, which besides making us smile, gives us much to think about.
Thanks and with regards,
Sayantika.

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Thanks for the encouraging words, Sayantika. Indeed, I have often remarked on the shortage of encouragement by way of comments here: I tell myself I keep writing for my own amusement (and to give pleasure to a very few people who I know enjoy visiting the blog again and again). Yes, maintaining a blog for years together is hard work - maintaining two together, and one of them dedicated to humour and whimsy, in a country full of dour and inert people, harder still.