Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Weird expectations

If people will keep talking arrant and malicious nonsense about me behind my back, I think I am within my rights to keep laughing at them here. If that makes some of my pupils angry because they know I am ridiculing their parents, I am afraid that can't be helped: they should have found themselves nicer parents.

One of the latest canards I have heard about myself doing the rounds of this one-horse town of late is that I supposedly keep sitting on my chair all the time (I don't, actually, as all my pupils blessed with eyes should know, but that is beside the point here), whereas such and such tutor puts in so much more effort, staying on his feet all the time he teaches - why can't I try to live up to his example?

I am reminded of something a friend of mine, a doctor, told me from his experience long ago: a woman had a septic ulcer on the left elbow, and as the doctor was about to give her an antibiotic injection she shrugged her arm away and walked out of the dispensary muttering angrily - 'He tries to give me an injection in the right hand when he can see the boil is on the left, and he calls himself a doctor!'

3 comments:

Anand Tiwari said...

Dear Suvro da,

I am not quite sure why you took the effort to make this post. 'Kuchch to log kahenge, logon ka kaam hai kehna'. Just leave it at that.

Anand

Suvro Chatterjee said...

First off, Anand, a lot of pressure builds up if you are on the receiving end day in, day out for years together (there's a cottage industry in Durgapur dedicated to spreading rumours about me), so this is my way of getting back and letting off steam. Besides, why can't I have a little fun?

Shilpi said...

No, no Suvro da - not to insist, but you must write these posts. I don't see why you shouldn't....you keep getting funnier about these things, which can be just plain annoying if seen one way, and why indeed shouldn't you make others laugh. I've been laughing for the last two days on being reminded of this post (among some other ones). I can just see your face "they should have found themselves nicer parents"! and that bit about "...blessed with eyes should know...", and wait - what's that you've said, the dedicated Durgapur "cottage industry"...

As for the post itself...what would be the purpose of spreading such a ridiculous tale, I wonder. It is hilarious but it's hilariously absurd, and I can almost see and hear the parents standing around and spinning stories about your supposedly sedentary teaching style...and making the idiotic comparison too...
I don't know what it is about this rumour that makes me laugh though...

On the other hand, a fair fat cow who was unfortunately a school-friend through primary school said something in relation to you some three years ago and now, three years later I've gotten terribly angry (I'd only been mildly angry back then). Not only was she disrespectful about you while trying to prod me as to why your name and face graced my mini friend-list on orkut - and of course I asked her to sod off (and she took offence and called me some more names in the bargain) - but the weirdest bit is that she herself had sent you two sugary sweet scraps six months before that trying to "jog" your memory about who she was! The Double (Fat)-faced cow. I have the suspicion that she was greatly annoyed that I had you on my friend-list while you hadn't even recognized her, and that must have galled her so...

As for the woman in the second tale, she probably never grew up from being a toddler and never got to know anything about the real world. You know, how some toddlers are told by some parents about the infamous injection and how some kids either fear it or think it's some miraculous cure but must be applied exactly where the nastiness appears...she probably belongs to the second category.

Sorry...now my comment is longer than your blog-post.