Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Doctors' bane

I had a very minor surgical operation on my leg under local anesthesia at a neighbourhood nursing home yesterday. I strode into the OT and chatted with the doctor while he operated (the nurse had solicitously offered to blindfold me - good heavens!), and all the while he assured me I could resume my daily routine directly the procedure was over, including normal diet, walking, using the scooter and so on. Well, I swung my legs off the table as soon as he gave the word, and was striding briskly out of the OT when he yelled after me, with obvious alarm in his voice, 'Slow down, slow down, don't hurry like that, you're acting as though nothing has happened...!' I obeyed, of course, but I was puzzled: hadn't he just been saying that I could start doing everything 'normally' as soon as he was done?

Reminded me of a more serious operation I had four years ago. On that occasion I was back on my feet within 24 hours, and insisted on leaving the hospital and getting back to work on day three, in spite of being advised 'complete rest' for at least seven days, and the doctor had grumbled about 'the patient (being) too impatient'...

2 comments:

Shilpi said...

Suvro da,
You can't just go out galloping after a surgery, no matter how minor! The doc' had probably said 'normally' because he didn't know that you were about to go racing right after...

Hmm...it has been four years. The 'Impatient patient' - a doctor's bane. Quite so.

Joydeep said...

Dear Sir,

The doctor is right. Take things easy- you might cause serious damage if you don't.

Take care.

Thanks,
Joydeep