Thursday, September 15, 2011

Ugly Indian

As I wrote in the blogpost titled Atithi devo bhavo exactly a year ago, I was thrilled to bits to see Aamir Khan in a public awareness campaign on TV, exhorting fellow Indians to mind their public manners a little. I wonder how much it has affected our behaviour: haven't seen much signs of improvement myself. Today, an old boy called Sunup Varghese Kurien sent me a link to this website. I am very glad indeed to see that some people feel the way I do, and are doing things to change things for the better, even if it is ever so little. I have immediately asked Sunup to let me know if and how I can help. Meanwhile, some of my readers can write in, if only to tell me that they too feel like us, and very strongly, and would like to pitch in whichever way they can.

2 comments:

Soham Mukhopadhyay said...

Dear Sir,
That's a very nice website to see. I'm glad to see those people who have cared for our environment and has made it a better place to live in. I noticed one thing in the website that it was written 'So, we made it our problem'. According to me that was a bold statement. We, Indians have a very bad habit of ignoring things by giving the excuse- 'it's not my problem, why should I be bothered'. It only concerns them when one dumps something in front of their house. An instant of it was given on the front page of this Friday's edition of telegraph. It really makes me sad to call myself an Indian when I think of India on such terms.

with regards,
Soham

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Pathetic, indeed, that in four days only one reader has bothered to write in with a comment. My hopes for this country grow dimmer with every passing day...