Saturday, December 21, 2013

Teacher, salaam

Being the kind of teacher I am, it always interests me to see teachers being talked about with understanding, appreciation and respect. So it was good to hear Amitabh Bachchan saying in Arakshan, and Saswata Chatterjee reiterating in C/o. Sir that there's no such thing as a 'great' school, and a good educational institution is not made by airconditioned classrooms with wi-fi internet connection: all it needs is a good teacher and a blackboard (funny, I myself have never needed even a blackboard, and it's been a lifetime!)

The girl in the latter movie also made a telling point: the same school and the same teacher's best efforts can still produce scoundrels... it will be a long time yet before something as incredibly difficult as teaching (and I am not talking about mere 'instruction', be it in plumbing or surgery) can be reduced to running pat algorithms with totally predictable results, assembly-line fashion.

2 comments:

Sriranjani said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sunandini Mukherjee said...

Dear Sir,
A teacher teaches his or her students that 'teaching' is an art and that it is one of the most difficult jobs that people go for.Unfortunately,very few people can demonstrate this and fewer can understand this fact.This is why pupils turn a deaf year to what most of the instructors in schools say and never learn to appreciate 'teaching' as a profession.For most of these pupils even parents do not set up good examples of teaching and therefore when they meet a 'teacher' they cannot believe that he or she can actually be a role-model,a confidant and a well-wisher.
It is true that sometimes even the best effots of a teacher can produce scoundrels and very few people can can even vaguely realise how the teacher feels about such failures.
I thank you Sir for showing me how challenging and yet how gratifying it is to be a teacher(what can be more pleasing than to know that one has helped a person to think and to act!).You have also warned me of bitter experiences with students and with trying to be a teacher among many instructors,but then it is you again who has told me to do my work as best as I can and leave the rest to what is destined.I intend to follow your instructions.
Thanking you,
Sunandini