Monday, October 5, 2009

Plus ça change…

This news item in today’s paper says that a lot of people in Indonesia are blaming the earthquake – and other recent calamities – on their President because numerologists and other experts claim that he has an ‘unlucky’ name (or, for variety, an unlucky date of birth)! Other experts have strongly refuted the claim, insisting that the President’s stars are in fact ‘lucky’ for the country.

There is a saying in French: plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose (the more it changes, the more it remains the same). I sometimes watch how fervently our mothers tie all sorts of charms and amulets around various parts of their children’s bodies so that they may "do well in science" and get into the IITs or medical schools. Their children, if they at all notice the contradiction, find nothing embarrassing about it; indeed, some of them, having grown up memorizing science textbooks to get their master’s or doctoral degrees, get very angry when I laugh at their ‘scientific’ pretensions.

One has to pinch oneself sometimes to believe that one is living in 2009, not 1209.

1 comment:

Shilpi said...

I don't remember anymore whether I heard that saying when you were talking to a couple of my friends or whether I first read it somewhere, but it's always stuck in my head - and this isn't the only instance where the saying rings many bells. I find it rather funny that it's some politician from the opposition party who insists that the President is 'unlucky' and that the President would have stepped down had he had a 'big heart'. What does ‘having a big heart’ have to do with this? Now what would be really funny is if the President did step down saying that he was 'unlucky' for the country.

But one sees this all the time. There were so many news snippets, which commented (sniggered) on how some celebrities changed the spellings of their names because so-and-so had told them that the new spelling would be luckier.

I do admit that I am superstitious about some things myself. Not about amulets and talismans and things of that sort – but what can I do if some dates haunt me?! Since ‘things’ (good, bad, ugly and all sorts) happen on a date or near-about-a-date – I can’t help but clutch onto the rods of life really tight wondering which way things are going to swing when certain dates approach. And since the dates have been chasing me around for more than a decade now (that’s when I started keeping count) – there’s nothing I can do but prance around or be on tenterhooks when particular dates come around….

Sorry for the late comment but I’d been looking for something, which I’d wanted to put in but couldn’t find it…
The last line in your post is a corker!
Take care.
Shilpi