Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Bury two

A lawyer was accosted by his colleagues and asked to subscribe ten pounds (dollars?) to arranging the funeral of a fellow professional. He at once fished out some money from his pocket and exclaimed, 'Is it that cheap to bury a lawyer? Here's twenty pounds: go ahead and bury two!'

Some ascribe this mordant (and self-mocking) witticism to the great Irish legal luminary John Philpot Curran; others to someone equally likely, Abraham Lincoln himself. The only other famous (ex-) lawyer I know of who spoke about his professional brothers in the same vein was Mohandas Gandhi.

Knowing the teaching profession as I do, I daresay that in a similar situation, I'd probably come up with the same remark, despite knowing it won't be original...

1 comment:

Sayan Datta said...

Absolutely right, Sir!
In the muck that I have put myself in, there are too many crooks masquerading as teachers. I am in the most unfortunate and unavoidable position of having to deal with them (not directly) and rectify their mistakes day in and day out. The less of these 'teachers' we have the better!
As for myself, I consider myself to be a good instructor at best. I know my subjects well and also how to put my thoughts across. In short I can explain things well. I have a long, long way to go, to self introspect, lots to study, lots to rectify before I can call myself a teacher.
Sayan Datta