Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The things that matter


I heard this doggerel in Bangla when I was still a boy, and like so many other things that seemed really interesting at first blush, it has stuck permanently in my memory.  Hari hey, dinobondhu, tumi amar babar bondhu/ hoy tumi dyakha dao, noy kichhu poysha dao,  the country poet says: “Lord, you are my dad’s old friend, y’know/ show yourself to me, or do give me some dough”.

Having lived and seen and thought a long time, I marvel at how this anonymous philosopher got his priorities just right, and with what sublime simplicity he has expressed them.

If you see God, you’ve got everything. Till then, it’s best to have some money.

It’s like the wag said about the American credo: In God we trust. With everyone else, we prefer cash…

2 comments:

Arijit said...

Another popular one is "Aaj bujhbi na bujhbi kal, kopal chaprabi aar parbi gal." Translation is as follows : "You are not realizing it today the day you realize,it will be too late and on that day you will feel frustrated on yourself."

Shilpi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.