Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A 'forgetful' nation

In this front-page news item in yesterday's newspaper, I read that 'forgetful' Indians have left behind Rs. 60 crores worth of hand luggage at various airports in the country over the last four years.

Although the reporter has blamed 'stress' and 'multi-tasking' and that sort of 'in' garbage, the psychologist he took the trouble to consult has hit the nail on the head: 'People all over the world forget things but we Indians more so, as we are (by breeding-) less organized'. 

I guess that that explains an awful lot of things about why this country is so messed up. From pupils 'forgetting' things that they have been told a hundred times over to people having accidents on the road because they 'forget' to give the right signals to doctors 'forgetting' to write detailed case histories before prescribing medicines... 

1 comment:

Shilpi said...

I've been intermittently letting out a very low exclamation with the 60 crores bit but what's really surprising is that the people aren't even aware that they've left things behind, and don't even bother to claim the stuff.

...and before I say too much I remember leaving myself behind at the airport once while an airport official pointed to my plane leaving the terminal. I don't think too many people have forgotten to board their flights while sitting low in their seats at the said boarding gate, and for 45 minutes.

I think both being forgetful and connecting it to being disorganized hit a loud bell and it's that along with being blusterous and blase about the same...and so maybe a great majority of Indians never even get around to learning what is important not to forget.