Friday, July 9, 2010

Never just right

In this country, they keep telling you till long after you start sleeping alone that you are 'too young' for certain things - consorting with the opposite sex, for instance, or experimenting with drugs (even of the very mild sorts) - and then, before you know what, you are suddenly 'too old' for everything, except perhaps politics. Just when are we ever the right age?

This is the reason why, though I make fun of such people too, I feel a sneaking sympathy for both little boys who try very hard (by growing beards and jauntily perching cigarettes at the corners of their mouths) to look grown-up, and old geezers who dress up like young rakes in the desperate hope that they might look the 'right age' despite their swelling midriffs and their bald pates and their wheeziness. But honestly, is most of life supposed to be yearning to grow up and then lamenting that the 'right age' is past forever? How sad.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sir,
In a similar context there is one question that has been doing rounds in my mind for quite some time now. Talking in the Indian background, amongst a very large proportion of the "GROWN UP" population why is a LOVE MARRIAGE still considered to be a sin even at an age when the boy/girl is considered to be mature enough to get married? I mean in their terms what would be the "Right age to do so??" :)

Arijit said...

“Youth’s a stuff will not endure.”-William Shakespeare
I think the right time to fall in love is teen age to mid-twenties. Practically you can fall in love anytime it might be in the seventies also. So nothing is right and wrong. All is well.
Literally speaking we should enjoy our youth. It’s the only time to learn, enjoy and to understand life. I’m also not denying that we can’t learn or enjoy or understand life in old age. My only argument is that in Youth our bloods are warm and so the enjoyment of the desire is excessive which gradually slows down as ages pass. So in my opinion it’s the perfect time.
Aye we should avoid drugs as far as possible; drugs kill. (Though I’m a smoker.)

Suvro Chatterjee said...

Oh, life itself kills much more certainly than any drug, Arijit. I have seen a lot of young people die who never touched a cigarette or a drink in their (short) lives, and a lot of heavy smokers and drinkers live past 90!

The full quote is 'Come kiss me, sweet and twenty/ in delay there is no plenty / youth's a thing will not endure'...

But I am sorry to say that I find a lot of people my age these days who are far more 'warm-blooded' than people twenty or more years younger!
Sir

Arijit said...

Sir,
Ah I agree with you on the fact that you have stated in first paragraph.I had only the intention to caution on the fact that "DRUGS are injurious to health", so we should try to avoid it what are your thoughts?
Something special is there in youth,don't you agree on it ? Ha Ha Ha on 'warm blooded'
Its a fantastic topic, all the best and keep writing. You really have the talent to make people laugh.You are absolutely fantastic.

Archishman Sarkar said...

Sir,

It's really never just right! Never.

I love this blog because every idea is so humorous but actually contains a lot of serious thoughts. This is one such of your posts.

Not surprising that my mom colours her hair once each week. A bottle cost about Rs 98. And when I ask for some money for chocolates..."ei to shedin ei kheli.abaar aajke??!!@#$". Hahaha.

Regards.