Sunday, July 4, 2010

The world of Don Camillo

They make neither priests nor humorists the way they used to.

That was the thought that kept passing again and again through my mind as I was savouring a set of Don Camillo books that Shilpi had very kindly sent over all the way from the United States.

I shall not write much about either the irrepressible village priest Don Camillo (and his eternal friend-cum-bĂȘte noir Peppone) or about his creator, Giovanni Guareschi: a google search, I have checked, will yield enough to whet the curiosity of any real reader/connoisseur of humour, and then the books are waiting. All I want to say here is that I am grateful to an old boy for having reminded me of the books (which, thanks to yet another great Catholic priest – Father Pierre Yves Gilson – I have had the privilege to know, I enjoyed in full measure long ago, when I looked after the library in St. Xavier’s School, Durgapur. Another time, another place…)

Earthy, credible, wicked, whimsical, unfailingly imaginative, loveable, and yet also informed, thoughtful, large-hearted, moving and memorable. I rarely use so many adjectives at one go to describe anything, but they all fit in admirably in this case.

In one sense, the stories are period pieces now, as much as those of Dickens are. Yet – as all good books should be – their essential appeal is eternal. Nothing about these stories is more endearing than the little candid conversations that Don Camillo has with his mentor on the cross. I often reflect that certain writers – Tolstoy, Dickens, Ruskin, Chesterton, Eliot and Guareschi among them – have done far more for Christianity than any flesh and blood priest has ever done. A pity that the Vatican has not always done them justice.

Try this link if you like.

4 comments:

Subhro Sengupta said...

Thank you for this piece.Don Camillo and Peppone and the Poe river and Guareschi all needed it.Time will pass but Don Camillo will live on,even if in the hearts of only a few......

Sumi said...

Thanks for the link, Sir. I started reading the first story, and it's piqued me sufficiently.
I especially loved this line:

"My parents had decided that I should become a naval engineer and so I ended up studying law and thus, in a short time, I became famous as a signboard artist and caricaturist."

The story of my life in one simple sentence :)

Shilpi said...

The relationship between Camillo and Peppone grew on me once I realised that they weren't ever going to kill each other...

Those exchanges between Don Camillo and 'his mentor' as you put it in were the bits that made me pause and laugh and got me decidedly fond of the book within the very first couple of pages...and somehow the exchanges seemed perfectly normal.

I was wondering about that bit about Guareschi letting his talking Jesus come across as he did and in such a blessedly humorous and lively and non-stuck up way.

I've never heard you use so many adjectives - not even spread across three pieces...gosh.

Thank you of course for telling me to read them and thank you once again for the thank you (and you're embarrassing me)...and thank you for the rest.

Take care.
Shilpi

Suvro Chatterjee said...

I owe you thanks for reminding me of the books, Subhro!
Sir